Are you in a dilemma, puppy grooming proving difficult with your new boy or girl not so keen on the process? Let’s look at how to get started.
No doubt one of the reasons you sided with a poodle mix was for its coat. As such it is near the top of your responsibilities when caring for your new dog – you want a shiny coat and avoid the dreaded knots! So how to get started.
Ideally your puppy will have been bred by a responsible breeder who has exposed them to as many environmental stimulants as possible. Most notably people and the puppies have been handled regularly.
When your puppy comes home it is very important that you continue to hold, stroke and examine them regularly. This will normalize the experience and teach your puppy to enjoy being touched. Ideally these interactions should take place with as many different people as possible. These encounters will help your dog to be relaxed and calm in situations such as veterinary examinations and trips to the groomers.
Even the most happy and compliant puppy can acquire eel like qualities though when it comes to their first grooming. New experiences and new objects heighten curiosity and senses. Don’t become frustrated and definitely don’t try and restrain your puppy to get the job done. Instead be patient and try the gently, gently approach.
- Introduce your puppy to the brush. Personally I would recommend a double sided brush to start. Let them have a sniff, obviously be careful when they are interrogating that the harder pin side is not going to cause any injuries.
- Wear him/her out – Have a play with your dog (not too much) so they are tired and settle down. Shouldn’t be too hard – puppies sleep a lot!
- Sit down – you won’t have any problems getting your pup to come and site on your lap or lay down beside you.
- Stroke gently with your hand.
- Increase the pressure of your stroking slightly – open your fingers and run down the dog’s flanks. You may get a few turns of the head to check what you are doing but they will soon drop the head back down as the soothing stroking continues.
- When they are well settled introduce the bristle side of the brush and continue the stroking action. You may be able to do this with no reaction. If the dog turns then continue gently. If they react just see whether they will settle back down without a fuss. If they react and get agitated go back two steps. If they continue to be wary end the session and resume when you have your next opportunity.
- When happy with the softer side of the brush introduce the pin side, gently at first and then with a little more pressure. In any case you should not be rough or exert too much pressure as this can irritate the skin. As the dog become happy with the use of the brush on its flanks you can then move to the legs (they really like the inside of the thigh being brushed) before progressing to the chest and finally the head and ears.
Within a few sessions your puppy will become more accustomed to the grooming regime and will grow to accept and enjoy the time they have with you.
Within a couple of months your puppy will have their first cut and the adult coat will start to replace the softer coat of their puppyhood.
Author: Matt Short
Enthusiastic Poochon/Bichpoo/Bichonpoo (how many names) Owner. Husband, father and dog walker extraordinaire.
- SPECIAL OFFER TODAY ONLY - BEST PIN & BRISTLE BRUSH ON AMAZON IS GREAT FOR ALL COATS - Double sided brush ensures you have the right comb regardless of if you have a pet with short, medium or long hair.
- COMFORTABLE FOR YOU AND YOUR PET - Rounded ends on the pin brush makes it easy and comfortable for your dogs and cats and our non-slip silicone gel filled handle conforms to your hand no matter how you decide to hold it.
- EASY AND FAST RESULTS - With the bristle side easily knock off loose hair and dirt while getting a beautifully groomed coat for your dog or cat with the pin brush side.
- GET RID OF MATS AND LOOSE HAIR WITHOUT HURTING YOUR PETS - The bristles are a soft yet firm nylon with rounded pins designed to penetrate DEEP into the coat and is really able to groom the undercoat well without scratching your pet's skin!
- BUY NOW WITH CONFIDENCE - Our Unconditional Satisfaction Guarantee - ABSOLUTELY NO RISK TO YOU! We offer a REPLACEMENT TOOL or REFUND if for any reason you are unhappy with your purchase! GIVE BACK TO THE COMMUNITY when you buy with GoPets we donate a portion of all our profits to animal charities, no-kill shelters, and animal rescues so you can give back to your furry friends and their communities.